Tuesday, July 2, 2013

"Everybody got guns!"

I finally finished Boardwalk Empire season 3 last night. Now that all is said and done, I’d definitely put that on my list of top 10 currently running shows. I can’t get over how many great performances by actors in super intense roles there are. It’s like watching a show with 10 or so Walter Whites.

I was especially into Bobby Cannavale’s Gyp Rosetti in the third season. For those of you who haven’t gotten to the third season yet, fear not, this is no spoiler. It is apparent from the first scene what Rosetti is all about. He reminds me of Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet; a laughable creep who absolutely explodes with fits of violence. Pure sociopath. Nearly every time he appears on screen I’m filled with dread and prone to that sort of nervous laughter you hear from theaters filled with annoying teenagers during scenes building up to a scare.

And he’s just one! Michael Shannon as Van Alden! Every smile is a wince from that guy. (I feel like he’s been great in everything he’s been in, though I haven’t seen Man of Steel yet.) Stephen Graham’s Capone! Richard Harrow! Chalky White! Nucky! Even Lucky Luciano, who felt like a caricature of a spoof of a cartoon of a 1920’s Italian gangster at first, grew on me.

Can’t wait for season 4 to start up in September.

3 comments:

  1. I just found your blog thanks to Heckasac and went back and read all your posts (all 4 or 5 of them) and instead of posting like 4 replies, i'll just throw it all here.
    I also love tv now. Justified if missing from yours and DB's lists! that criminal!
    my rankings for current shows:
    1-Game of Thrones
    2-Justified
    3-Breaking Bad
    4-Parks and Rec
    5-Homeland (might be higher but i forgot about it until now)
    6-Doctor Who
    7-Futurama
    8-Elementary
    9-Misfits
    10-Boardwalk Empire (just because you posted the picture or else i would have forgotten about it even though its good)

    honorable mentions (some i enjoy just because they're terrible): Revolution, Hell on Wheels, Always Sunny in Philly, Hannibal, True Blood, Girls, COmmunity

    I forgot Mad Men, I'll put it as 5.5

    I'm also currently stoked on Under the Dome. Its not really good but it should be a fun journey. Also I've read the book so its entertaining to see all the changes that were made. It has Hank from Breaking Bad in it.

    -Dave Ninja

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan on catching up with Under the Dome. I liked the book, except for the end (just like pretty much everything else Stephen King touches) and I love Hank from Breaking Bad so I gotta give it a shot.

    I watched the first five episodes of Hannibal and loved the cool visual stuff they did but it still felt like a regular ol' police procedural under that, so I couldn't hang. I keep hearing the season got better and better so maybe I'll pick it back up soon. Honestly network dramas have let me down so much since LOST that I probably don't give anything a fair chance. I started Revolution but dropped off that one pretty quickly too.

    I gotta check out Justified! I feel like someone I really like is involved with that but I can't remember who. Patton Oswolt maybe? Or maybe he's just a fan?

    I've never even hear of Misfits but I'm intrigued.

    I was going to watch Doctor Who this season but I thought I should watch the first 34 seasons first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With Doctor Who, you're fine starting at the 2005 rebirth. I think most of it is on netflix.

    Patton Oswalt is in the latest season of Justified. The main guy in the show, Timothy Oliphant is the sheriff from Deadwood (great show).

    Misfits is like a BBC version of Heroes but good. I think there have been 4 series (short BBC seasons) and the third one kind of sucked but the latest season was good. It airs in the UK in Oct-Dec usually. I think the early seasons are on Netflix.

    Hannibal must be getting better because i havent fallen asleep during the last few (we're still a couple episodes behind). Its slow and doesnt hold your hand so i can see why people dont like it. It also had the unfortunate timing to start airing at the same time as The Following, which is a piece of crap and I hate that I watched the entire season.

    Elementary is a surprisingly decent network drama. they also could have gone with a totally lame cliffhanger finale but didnt. It impressed me.

    Its funny how many shows i watch/enjoy but totally forget about during their off seasons like Walking Dead and Downton Abby.

    ReplyDelete