Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Wire & The Bridge

Looks like I’ll be starting up the Wire, which is sort of the way I was leaning anyways. Plus my wife is interested and Yolkie might watch along, which makes it way more fun. It seems like it could be difficult to schedule a time to get together for all 60 episodes, so do any of you who have seen it have any suggestions of key episodes to watch with a group? Episodes that have good “holy shit!” moments? Maybe the season premieres and finales?

Also, I’ll be checking out The Bridge tomorrow (10pm on FX). It’s an American remake of a Scandinavian show (like the Killing) that puts two mismatched cops together (like the Killing) to solve a murder (like the Killing.) All jokes aside, I’ve never seen the original but have heard fantastic things about it, and moving the setting from the border of two Scandinavian countries to the US/Mexico border seems intriguing. It’s produced and written by Meredith Stiehm, who worked on Homeland (which I also haven’t seen but I’m sure is great) and the pilot is directed by Gerardo Naranjo, who I believe is a pretty well regarded Mexican director. I’m sure some of the plot points will have to do with the Mexican drug cartel, which sort of terrifies me in real life but is also what made Breaking Bad so great, so it has that going for it too. If anyone else watches let me know what you think.

6 comments:

  1. I'll check out the Bridge if i remember to tell my computer to grab it.
    The Killing has been great this season; its like a whole new show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we just need to set up a scheduled time to watch each week. At this point I'm free most evenings. How fast do you wanna get through the show?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I invite myself occasionally? I probably won't be able to make it most of the time but I'll watch along at home and joing you sometimes if that's ok. I gave it a try three years ago or so and didn't like it. I watched about 5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah dude, you can join. In fact, I came here to let people know that if anyone else wants to come watch we're starting it tonight. Just text me or email me or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, rad that you'll be watching along!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wire is the best show ever.

    ReplyDelete