Monday, March 24, 2014

I'm Just A Dude Who Loves Girls


Last night, the third season of Girls came to a close. It’s been my favorite season so far, and I can’t believe how quickly these 8 episodes flew by. It seemed like just yesterday we were picking Jessa up from rehab, and here we are today, wondering if she’s murdered a woman or not (cliffhanger!).


It’s been nice watching Hannah and Adam function as a comparatively normal couple this season. It was nice seeing Hannah get that job writing those ads that look like articles in GQ, and it was nice seeing her get the fuck out with some integrity, kind of. Of course it was nice seeing Adam do something with himself, even if it meant keeping Hannah at a distance.


Then there's Shoshanna Shapiro, ("S as in Sam, H as in Hank, A as in Apple, P as in Paltrow...") who has always kind of been my favorite, probably because I identify with her the least so she makes me the least uncomfortable. Her dropping those truth bombs on everyone at the beach house was possibly the highlight of the season for me. Her glassy eyed attempt to get Ray back was sappy and cliche-ridden (“You make me the best version of myself…”) but it’s totally believable coming from Shoshanna, who probably studied every romantic comedy in her collection to put together her appeal to Ray. And though it felt fabricated, it also felt sweetly sincere. Which made Ray’s response all the more heartbreaking, possibly because - and I’ll give full credit to Brandi for pointing this out to me - he thinks he has a chance with Marnie.


Fucking Marnie. She’s been struggling to keep it together, grasping at straws and sometimes straight up manipulating her way into some kind of situation that she feels she has control over. I’ve been wincing along with her failed attempts all season, yet I’m still wincing when her plan to come between Desi and his girlfriend seems to be successful. Fucking Marnie.


So what can we expect from season four? Will we have split settings, with some of the time spent with Hannah in Iowa, while everyone else lives their life in New York? That may seem awkward, but considering how little some of the characters interact with each other this season, it could work just fine (by my count, Hannah and Jessa only cross paths three times this season: when they pick her up from rehab, at the beach house, and when they celebrate Adam’s success in the hotel.) I’m also wondering if that’s the last we’ll see of Adam. With rumors of him joining the cast of Star Wars (which is set to start shooting in May) will he have the time? Personally I’ve loved watching Adam growing from a super intense and kind of creepy weirdo into super intense and pretty lovable weirdo. It seems like he’s finally had enough of Hannah, and judging by the last scene of last nights episode, she’s finally happy to move on without him. I doubt he’ll return in any major way, maybe just for a phone call or two. I love the guy, but I’m okay with seeing him go, especially if it allows my boy Ray to take up a little more screen time.

6 comments:

  1. I totally did not read this post because I haven't seen the episode yet! It's the finale?! Ugh. I'm not ready for the kind of half-closure I suspect will happen for some of this season's story lines. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up tonight or tomorrow.

    It's been a good season!

    NL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure you come back and share your thoughts after you watch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking we're going to see Hanna have some kind of self-sabotage keeping her from Iowa or having her come back to NYC. That's my only next season theory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean, that's pretty obvious ^. I just have nothing insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally watched the finale today at lunch! Ugh, what can be said? It was predictable in many ways. Every character except Shosh pretty much acted out their basic tropes. I am not sure if I hate that or find it comforting.

    Marnie is destructive, Hannah is still self-serving, Jessa goes too far again. Adam's emotions get the best of him. Ray continues to have his shit together, for now.

    Shosh, whaaat? There was no clue that she was having trouble with school. She is so anxious and has no verbal filter (especially not lately), how could we not know about this?!

    I thought the grad school acceptance was strange too. I wasn't expecting that at all. Had they ever mentioned her applying for it in this season? Because it seemed like a big deal.

    I have no idea what to expect for next season, but I'm glad there will be one! I love to hate these characters!

    NL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I think that's one of the things that makes the show seem too real - the characters never changing. It's kind of bad in a traditional storytelling sense, but it is oddly comforting. That grad school acceptance did come out of nowhere. Then again, it wouldn't have been incredibly entertaining watching Hannah fill out forms and pace and worry and wait. Not when she can be donning blond wigs and wearing green bikinis, anyway.

      Delete