Sunday, September 29, 2013

Breaking Bad Series Finale - "Felina"

Well, I sure didn’t predict that. I was expecting a curve ball. Instead I got a finale that was so nicely wrapped up and straight forward I feel like I should feel disappointed. But I’m satisfied. I feel like every question was answered, and pretty much everyone got what they deserved.

More after the jump.

I wasn’t expecting Walt’s visit to the Schwartz compound though. The tension as he wandered around their house while they went about their business was great. His plan for the money is honorable, and seems pretty fool proof, and I’m glad to know Flynn will be taken care of. It’s also somehow fitting that Gretchen and Elliot will have to live out their days thinking about Walt and looking over their shoulder for imaginary hitmen, but I’m also glad nothing happened to them, and they’re not in any real danger. And I’m especially grateful we got to see Badger and Skinny Pete one last time.

I feel like a lot of people expected the ricin was for Lydia and the guns for the Nazis. I was predicting (and hoping) it would go another way, but again, now that I’ve seen it play out, I’m alright with it.

Of course the Showdown with the Nazis was pretty satisfying, but also contained my only two gripes with the episode. First was the sense of pride Uncle Jack suddenly had when Walt mentioned Jesse as his partner. Sure, I can understand Jack’s amusement at the thought, but I don’t see him as the type that would have taken that as an insult, and I really don’t buy that he’d put of Walt’s execution just to prove to him Jesse was subservient to him. Still, it facilitated a pretty awesome robo-car shootout, so I guess I’m in. Second, though I’m glad Todd got his, and I’m glad Jesse was the one who did it, it felt like too much fan service to see it play out that way. Todd was actually one of my favorite things in these last 8 episodes, and though I wanted him to go, I would have loved to see him get a more eventful finish than getting choked out Jabba the Hutt style.

Jesse lives! And he’s free!If Walt wanted Jesse dead, he wouldn’t have tackled him to the ground. I’m sure he went their with every intent to kill him, but changed his mind when he saw what a miserable existence he’d been living. Giving him the gun, telling him he wanted to die; he wanted Jesse to have it any way he wanted. If killing him would make Jesse feel better, he’d let it happen that way. If giving Jesse the opportunity to be the bigger man and leave him to himself, so be it. He knew the end was coming anyways.

I hope Jesse drives that El Camino all the way to Alaska and starts a woodworking business.

3 comments:

  1. It was a good ending. They should have ended with a Vacation style montage of Jesse at different roadside attractions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. Thinking about it later, Uncle Jack's point to prove that Jesse was not his partner did seem like a stretch. Even more so when you imagine Walt thinking that would work to summon Jesse.

    Overall, I felt like they tied up every major part of the story pretty nicely. I like how Walt went out. We all knew it needed to happen and it wouldn't have played to the story well if Jesse killed him or if he turned the gun on himself in that clubhouse scene.

    At first I thought Better Call Saul sounded like a terrible idea, but now I'm really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Walt was saying the only thing he could to make them not kill him at that moment. He and Uncle Jack had a deal; Jesse was supposed to dead. Uncle Jack was mad that he got called on it. They all knew Jesse was a rat so calling him Uncle Jack's partner was a slap in the face.

    ReplyDelete